People experience allergic reactions when their bodies try to respond against foreign substances and allergens. When the immune system starts to overreact to a harmless substance that it sees as a threat, a hypersensitivity reaction or an allergic reaction takes place. Different substances can be considered as allergens – medications, certain foods, insect venoms, bacteria, and even common dust.
If you want to stop experiencing intense reactions against these substances, you have landed on the right page. This article will explain the causes and symptoms of an allergic reaction as well as the different treatment methods that can be used to cure it.
What causes of allergic reactions?
An allergic reaction might occur for a number of reasons. Almost anything can trigger them, so they are actually hard to prevent and to avoid. Hypersensitivity reactions usually take place when your body’s white blood cells produce antibodies to fight against antigens. The antibodies try to detect and to destroy substances that can cause different illnesses and diseases by releasing substances called mediators.
Mediators affect the body’s local organs and tissues and activate more levels of white blood cells and antibodies. The rapid increase of antibodies and mediators in the body leads to various effects that cause the symptoms of allergic reactions. If the release of mediators in the body is extensive or sudden, you might experience anaphylaxis – a severe, life-threatening, whole-body reaction against foreign substances.
What are its symptoms?
You can determine whether you really are experiencing an allergic reaction or not by keeping a checklist of symptoms related to hypersensitivity reactions. These symptoms include difficulty in breathing, redness and itching of the skin, skin eruptions and hives, wheezing sounds in the lungs, and swelling in the eyelids, face, lips, tongue, or throat. Runny nose, too much sneezing, bloodshot eyes, vomiting, and diarrhea are also associated with hypersensitivity reactions.
In case of suspected anaphylaxis, you might experience uncontrollable shock. It happens when the body suddenly starts getting less blood than it needs, which can eventually cause dangerous levels of high blood pressure. Allergic reactions that cause shock usually makes the sufferer look pale or red, dry or sweaty, and confused or unconscious.
How can it be avoided?
There are different ways to avoid harmful triggers from allergic reactions. The most effective way to prevent triggers is to identify what food, medications and substances you are allergic to and to avoid them at all costs.
How is it treated?
Hypersensitivity reactions can be treated at home, as long as you are not exhibiting the symptoms of life-threatening anaphylaxis. If your doctor prescribed the use of epinephrine auto-injectors, you can use them every time you experience a sudden allergic trigger.
However, if you are only experiencing mild allergic reactions, you can use non-prescription medications for allergies such as antihistamines. You can also use anti-inflammatory creams to treat skin rashes, and apply cold compress in the affected areas of your skin.
Now that you know everything about allergic reactions, you can protect yourself from its harmful symptoms and effects.
Adrenalin, Aristocort, Benadryl, Deltasone, Diphen, EpiPen, Kenalog-40, Periactin, Phenadoz, Phenergan, Promethegan, Sterapred, Tavist